Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Missing Scent

  A couple months ago I walked into a co-op (for animal supplies) for the first time in years. I had originally stopped in to check out the model horses they carry but after I did that I inevitably found myself asking where I could find the products for real horses. I was given directions to the very back corner of the store and as I got closer, I slowed. I ran my fingers over the halters, leads and headstalls for sale, inhaling the scent of leather, horse treats, liniments and saddle soap, remembering my time with horses. I meandered through each isle, digging through the grooming brushes and running them over my hands, smiling as my mind was bombarded with the plethora of coat colors I had run similar brushes over countless times. The manure rakes I hefted, marveling at the new ways we have created to scoop up poop and the horseshoes I compared to the size of all the hooves I used to pick.
  As I checked out every single item I found myself growing a little melancholy because as happy as I was to be around all these items that remind me of some of the happiest times of my life there was something that was missing: the smell of manure and horse sweat, hay and dirt--what was missing was the horse.
  And that is why I have decided to start this blog. To have a place to share some of my very best equine memories from my time with the horses I've loved throughout my life in an attempt to fill that gaping void inside of me that is always screaming, "Horse!".

No comments:

Post a Comment